4 self storage unit mistakes you should not make
If you’re planning to rent a self storage unit, it is worth taking note of some of the mistakes you should not make during your rental term. Always choose a service provider that is reliable, secure, and affordable. You might think that there is nothing to worry about when it comes to storing in a self storage unit but there are things to watch out for. Here are four mistakes you can avoid making.
1. Small sized rooms
When people try to save money, they often have to compromise for the sake of saving a few extra quid. An example of this is when people rent a self storage unit that is too small for their needs. Aside from having the headache of figuring out how to fit everything into a small space, you risk damaging items. Fragile items are more likely to get damaged when crammed into tight spaces. If you’re unsure about which size of storage room is going to be suitable, ask the staff to recommend.
2. Packing items for long-term protection
If you plan to store your items longer term, you need to make sure you pack with protection in mind. For light, smaller items in boxes, you should use plenty of bubblewrap to secure the objects safely. Think about using heavy duty plastic storage containers as well as cardboard boxes. Large items of furniture can be wrapped in sheets to prevent damage like scratches and dents during the move process.
3. Inadequate security measures
Most storage facilities offer plenty of high security features. Always look for how secure the facility is and what features it provides. Advanced security systems such as alarmed units, PIN code access and remote CCTV security cameras are one’s to look out for. When you use self storage you need the peace of mind that your belongings are going to be kept secure at all times.
4. Prohibited items that should not be stored
There are restrictions on the types of goods which cannot be stored in the unit. These are generally as follows:
- Food or perishable goods unless securely packed so that they are protected from and do not attract vermin
- Birds, fish, animals or any other living creatures
- Combustible or flammable materials or liquids such as gas, paint, petrol, oil or cleaning solvents
- Firearms, explosives, weapons or ammunition
- Chemicals, radioactive materials, biological agents
- Toxic waste, asbestos or other materials of a potentially dangerous nature
- Any item which does or could emit any fumes, smell or odour
- Any illegal substances, illegal items or goods illegally obtained
- Compressed gases
Following these tips should give you a better overall storage experience and make your self storage unit work better for you. Get the most out of your storage space at Bigfoot Self Storage and contact us today for a quote.