5 simple steps to declutter your home
Spring is upon us and this is a good time to start making positive changes in your life. Here, we’ll tackle one aspect of your life that, more often than not, could benefit from you taking action. We’re talking about the clutter in your home and what you can do to get rid of it. Decluttering your home comes with a number of benefits. It lets you create more space for the things that are valuable to you. It also allows you to have a greater sense of control over your surroundings. When these two things are present, you ultimately provide yourself with a space that is conducive to growth. Arguably, the challenge that comes with decluttering is figuring out where to begin. If your home is particularly untidy, it might take you a while to reach the end goal but that doesn’t mean that it’s impossible.
The best approach to declutteringStart by devoting some time each day to declutter and focus on one room at a time. Follow these 5 simple steps to declutter your home.
- Look at each item in the room and decide whether you want to keep it or not. If there are plenty of items then you might want to create separate piles of things so you don’t have to keep moving around.
- Segregate items into two main categories; items you want to keep and items you will want to get rid of. If you have a real need for an item or if it makes you happy, then keep it. Consider whether you’ll need it any time soon. You may want to keep some items stored away from the home in secure personal self storage. Everything else that doesn’t meet the criteria can either be donated or thrown away.
- Once the items have been segregated, return those you plan to keep to where they should belong in your home. Have a designated place for certain items so that you always know where they are and clutter won’t accumulate again over time.
- For items that you don’t want to keep, find the best way to get rid of them. This can be done by giving them to friends and family, donating to charity shops or by taking them to the local household recycling centre.
- Repeat this process throughout the rest of the rooms in the house. Give the process the time it requires to be completed in the right way and be ruthless in getting rid of unwanted possessions.